I love a good brownie, chewy on the outside, soft and gooey in the middle. Even better warm from the oven with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream!
The original recipe didn’t call for the items highlighted with an * below, but anyone who doesn’t love extra chocolatey bits and a crunchy nut in a brownie is no friend of mine!
(Makes about 12 portions)
200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
175g unsulted butter
325g caster sugar
130g plain flour
1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts (or any nut)*
3/4 cup mixed choc chips – I used milk and white*
- Preheat the oven to 170°C
- Put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water
- Stir until melted and smooth
- Remove from the heat. Add the sugar and stir until well incorporated
- Add the flour and stir until well incorporated
- Stir in the eggs and mix until thick and smooth
- Finally, add in your hazelnuts and choc chips and stir until combined
- Pour the mixture into a baking tray and bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until flaky on top but still soft in the centre
- Leave to cool completely (good luck waiting!) before dusting with icing sugar to decorate
Recipe adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook.