Coffee and chocolate together? It’s kinda like that family guy clip where the guy driving with peanut butter and another guy driving with some chocolate get into a bingle and BAM – deliciousness is born.
These were amazing, I took a tray of 24 to a BBQ and I left with an empty tray – epic success!
1 cup softened butter
1 cup castor sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 cup self-raising flour, sifted
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup hazelnut meal
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 tablespoons instant coffee (dissolve in a tiny amount hot water)
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup unsulted butter softened
1 tablespoon hazelnut liqueur
1 teaspoon instant coffee (dissolve in tiny amount hot water)
- Preheat the oven to 160°c. Line a 12 cupcake pan with cupcake papers.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs, and butter and sugar, then mix until light and fluffy
- Add milk and flour, and stir to combine. Add remaining cake ingredients, mix with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes until light and creamy
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cake papers. Bake for 18-20 minutes until risen and firm to touch. Allow to cool fully before icing
For the topping:
- Meanwhile, combine all topping ingredients except for coffee beans in a small bowl, mix with a wooden spoon. Spoon onto cupcakes.
- Decorate each with a few coffee beans
- Instead of putting coffee beans ontop, I opted for shaved chocolate – I think this topped it off perfectly. You could always meet half way and use choc coated coffee beans! YUM!