I knew I had to bake something this last weekend. I didn’t want to go the whole hog and have to make buttercream or frostings.. so finally tried a recipe I had in my folder. Mmmmmwarmingmuffins.
I think they needed a bit more banana than the recipe called for, and some cinnamon, but all the same – a great afternoon treat.
(Makes 24 muffins)
Canola oil spray
2 cups wholemeal self raising flour
2 cups white self raising flour
1 cup brown sugar
150ml low-fat natural yoghurt
1/2 cup apple juice
1 1/2 large bananas, peeled chopped
1 pear, cored and diced
1/2 cup buttermilk or low fat milk
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C
- Lightly spray muffin trays with oil (or baking paper – see below note under crumbs)
- Sift flours, returning husk from wholemeal flour to the bowl, add the brown sugar
- In a separate bowl mix eggs, yoghurt, and juice
- Combine with the flour mix and fold through the fruit and milk (you may need less milk depending on the moisture in the fruit). Do not over mix
- Spoon mixture into trays, bake for 18-20 minutes
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool (or eat one straight away like I did, that’s when they’re most awesomely delicious)
- I used only wholemeal self raising flour as I wanted a healthier version
- I didn’t use oil to line the muffin trays. Instead I lined each muffin tray hole with some baking paper to get that cafe muffin look ;)
- The recipe called for only 1 large banana, even with 1.5 it could still have been more banana-ry for me I think
- The addition of some cinnamon would be a lovely touch too
- Swap any fruits, banana and raspberry, strawberry and peach – anything in season!